Dryers make life so much easier! Way better than the “clothes line” days! However, when they have problems, it can sometimes be a challenge to troubleshoot! Before the tech comes, there are a few tips and tricks a person can try!
Common problems with dryers:
Q: The dryer doesn’t start or make any noise – what should I check?
A: Make sure the dryer is plugged in and turned on
- Does the dryer require a 240 volt receptacle? (Most do)
- Check to see if door is fully closed
- Check that the correct cycle is selected and that the timer is advanced accordingly
- Check receptacle – make sure there is power to it
- If receptacle is dead, check the circuit breaker or fuse
Q: Dryer is noisy or runs but does not tumble
A: Some noises are caused by objects bouncing around inside the drum – check for this
A worn or defective drum belt, idler pulley, support roller or worn motor can also be a potential cause – call for service
Q: Dryer takes too long to dry – what do I check?
A: This problem is often caused by the dryer’s vent being blocked with lint. Dryers need to be properly vented, otherwise the moisture in the air cannot be properly carried away. Check for the following:
- Check the lint trap and clean it
- Be sure the dryer is not pushed so close to the wall that it pinches off the airflow through the vent’s air duct hose
- Check the point where the air duct vents away from the house
- If needed, clean out the duct work from the dryer to the exterior wall where it vents
Source: Information provided from http://www.hometips.com/home_probsolver/hps03/04_dryer/hps_dryer01.html